The field gun M-46




The 130 mm towed field gun M-46 (Russian: 130-мм пушка M-46) is a manually loaded, towed 130 mm artillery piece, manufactured in the Soviet Union in the 1950s. It was first observed by the west in 1954. There is also a Chinese copy, called the Type 59.

Map with M1954 operators in blue with former operators in red


For many years, the M-46 was one of the longest range artillery systems around, with a range of more than 27 km.



The M-46 was developed from the M-36 130 mm naval gun used on ships and for coast defence. It is a true gun, being unable to fire much above 45° and having a long barrel and a single propelling charge. Preparation of field gun for transport takes about 8 minutes by 8 soldiers crew.



The gun M-46 was first presented to the public at a military parade in Moscow in 1954. At first use of the Red Army changed its anti-guns, but because of his long-range deployed in the Corps. It is used along with artillery radars to monitor the fire of SNARE-2nd.



An m-46 field gun is in use in more than 25 armies around the world, under license were manufactured in China and Romania. During the 1980s in the Soviet Union, the M-46 was replaced with 2A36 Giatsint-B 152 mm and its self-propelled version 2S5 Giatsint-S. Some companies in the field of military industry are converted by the caliber of 155 mm by NATO standards.



The M-46 was extensively used by the North Vietnamese during Vjetnamskog war against US forces. It Was considered as the best example of field artillery from both sides during the war.



The Chinese versions of this type are most likely used by North Korea during the shelling of the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong in the Yellow Sea on 23 November 2010.



The JNA units with these guns were out of the Corps, directly subordinate commands of military districts. They entered the composition of mixed artillery brigade, which had 3 divZIOn (each with 18 guns) and one division Ognjen (with 12 guns). Each Military District had the two mixed artillery brigade. (580, 16, 152, 202, 203, 326 MABR). Mass was used during the war in ex-Yugoslavia, and for this gun was developed the missile with a gas generator with a greatly increased range.



M46 / 10 - This is a conversion that involved replacing the original 130 mm barrel with a new 155/45 mm barrel. With ERFB-BB ammunition, this version has a range of 38,600 m.























Sources:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/imageviewer/ar/pic-detail.asp?armor_id=91&sCurrentPic=pic2

Comments

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS

14 things that every Yugoslav partisan wore at the beginning of World War II

The Underground Airbase Slatina

JNA, the army that no longer exists: What is all possessed one of the most powerful European armies Part I

The story of the Valley of Heroes